Friday, August 31, 2012

Foodie Friday 8.31.12



Summer… I hardly knew ye…

As the first day of the long Labor Day weekend, today reminds me that the end of summer is drawing near. A summer, which for me, passed in the blink of an eye (or rather a graduate school-induced stupor). Where did my   sun-filled, lazy days go? My gritty-sand beach excursions, my patio soirees, my drinks on Rittenhouse Square? True, being in school, they’ve been sporadic at best for the past few years. But this summer has definitely been the worst. So, today’s Foodie Friday is an ode to summer; not a memorial for days gone by, but a celebration and an invitation to embrace the warm days that remain...

Ditch Plains Clambake

Whether it's a full-sized spread for ten, or an individual bowl of my own, the combination of seafood, corn and potatoes always reminds me of endless beach days, sunsets, family and friends.

One-Pot Clambake

Summer is the season for tomatoes, and I find I tend to make every tomato-centric dish I can get my hands on during this time. A favorite is Tomato Bread Salad with Herbs (a panzanella of sorts), but this Chorizo and Tomato Salad looks pretty delicious, too.

Chorizo and Tomato Salad

Another summertime flavor I drool over is grilled or roasted fruit, and this recipe from Martha Stewart is fantastic. Definitely add the goat cheese, as suggested.

Roasted Peaches with Rosemary

And where would summer be without ice cream... ooey-gooey, creamy, ice cream? There are so many flavors to love. Strawberry may be the gold standard of the season, but I think this coffee-hazelnut sounds to-die-for!

Coffee Hazelnut Ice Cream

Lastly, I give you the icon of summer camp and campfires everywhere - the s'more. And while I love the classic version, with its crunchy graham crackers, melted chocolate and toasty marshmallows, I will admit that this peanut-butter one has me entertaining traitorous thoughts... 

Chocolate and Peanut Butter S'mores

What are your favorite summer flavors? Are you mourning the season's end like I am??

Images: 1, 2-7 as linked above

No comments:

Post a Comment