Friday, September 14, 2012

Foodie Friday 9.14.12


It's kind of crazy, but I never really starting cooking eggs until about five years ago. In all my years growing up, I would avoid them. I was ok with hard-boiled eggs and deviled eggs, but if I was going to eat them scrambled, someone else was going to have to make them, and there had better be a lot of other stuff scrambled in with them. When I went out for breakfast or brunch, I would usually order one of the sweet options - waffles, french toast or pancakes. 

That all changed early on in my relationship, when my boyfriend started making me his favorite scramble - eggs, sausage, polenta and Parmesan cheese. It wasn't fancy, but it was made with love, and soon I found my view on eggs changing. So much so in fact, that I began to bookmark recipes and make them myself. 

Here are a few that I've made or am anxious to try...

Croque Madame French Toast Cups

A middle ground of sorts, this Croque Madam combines my old favorite, french toast, with salty ham, Gruyère and a baked egg. How can that not be good?


Caprese Eggs Benedict

In general, I'm a big fan of eggs benedict, and to this day, it's the only egg dish I'll order with any regularity at a restaurant. This caprese version, with basil and tomato, looks delicious. 


Shakshuka (Eggs Poached in Spicy Tomato Sauce)

I'm intrigued by the idea of poaching eggs in tomato sauce, and am dying to try this dish. The flavors sound amazing.

The Spanglish Sandwich

Created by Thomas Keller, this recipe was developed specifically for Adam Sandler in the movie Spanglish. It's like a BLT with egg and cheese. Yummy!


Avocado Toast with Poached Egg

I've posted before about my love for avocado toast, but this version takes it to a whole new level with the addition of cilantro and a poached egg.


What's your relationship with eggs like? Are you a longtime lover? Or, are you like me, still in the honeymoon phase with this delightful protein?

Images as linked above

No comments:

Post a Comment