Friday, September 21, 2012

Foodie Friday 9.21.12

Smokey Corn Chowder with Shrimp

With the arrival of Fall and the slight chill in the air, my mind has begun to turn to thoughts of soup. Sadly, I had not prepared for this moment when I went shopping earlier in the week, so when the desire struck, I had to improvise. One such improvisation was to use the above recipe as inspiration for modifying a store-bought can of chicken and wild rice soup. I took some shrimp I had on hand, tossed it in olive oil, salt and pepper and grilled it. I then defrosted some frozen corn, added salt and pepper, and grilled it too. I added both to the canned soup warming on the stove, along a few tablespoons of milk, and finished it all off with a liberal amount of paprika and (more) pepper. Voila! Chicken and rice soup that was so much more... (Next time, I'll planned ahead and try the soup recipe above. Still, it's nice to know what I can pull together in a pinch!)

Below are some more recipes I've made or am looking forward to trying this Fall...

Mexican lime Soup with Chicken and Avocado


Creamy Asparagus Soup with Poached Egg on Toast


Caprese Soup

Caprese salad is one of my favorites in the summer. I love the idea here of extending the season a bit longer with a cheesy, tomato-y version of French onion soup.

English Onion Soup with Sage and Cheddar

Speaking of French onion soup, this was my other go-to for an unplanned soup week, and I again used what I had on hand. In this case, it was Trader Joe's French Onion Soup from the freezer. Have you ever tried it? Not too shabby for those times when you're feeling to lazy to make soup from scratch. (I know it's crazy, but years ago I bought two ramekins exactly the right size for baking this soup - 4"dia., 2 1/2" h. I've never regretted it.)

Again, next time, I'm trying this English Cheddar Soup from chef Jaime Oliver. (I love the idea of adding sage and cheddar!) 

Chicken Provencal Stoup

This is one of my tried and true staples of Fall (and winter), and I've been making to rave reviews for years. The olive tapenade absolutely makes the dish, (although the Herbs de Provence don't hurt either)!

Artichoke Soup, Crispy Salami, Lemon Parsley Quinoa


Tuscan Bean Soup

They all look so good, don't they??

What's your favorite soup for Fall? 


Images as linked above, except 6

No comments:

Post a Comment